What is SEO?
What is SEO in simple terms
SEO forms the backbone of the digital marketing world. Sometimes underrated or overlooked, SEO is one of the most powerful digital marketing strategies guaranteeing high SERPs. Today, the main goal of every website is to use the best SEO tools and strategies for helping them achieve high rankings over SERPs. It is what SEO does, it makes websites visible over search engines with the aim of transporting quality traffic to it.
Now that you know What Is SEO in simple terms,
let’s have a look at it technically.
Little more…What is SEO?
SEO is an organic and ethical digital marketing strategy helping websites to be visible and responsive to searches on the search engines. It is a process by which your website’s traffic (quantity and quality) improves over search engines. SEO impacts the position and ranking of your website over SERPs. It helps to increase the website’s
Visibility over search engines. In other words, SEO helps websites acquire traffic from search engines through unpaid and natural search results.
SEO focuses on :
- Increasing visibility via natural and organic (non-paid) search engine results.
- Looking after both the technical and creative elements required to improve rankings, drive traffic
- Increasing Search Engine awareness
Let’s Take a looks History of SEO.
Let’s take an overview of the History of SEO:
In the early 90’s search engines only used plain texts for ranking processes. The ranking process was simple.
It was performed by repeating similar keywords, web search queries several times.
Search engines slowly started to improve algorithms by analysing word counts, header tags and keyword densities. During this time, a few “brainy” SEO companies began mastering the art of internal optimization using a method known as reverse engineering.
Mid ’90’s: In the mid-’90s, it was easy and common to track website rankings within the range of 15-20 different search engines.
The Google Era:
The year 1997 will be etched as the founding year of the digital world as Google was born and created history.
Google changed the entire ranking process of search engines and changed the way we deal with search engine rankings today. It was the first search engine to use links as a ranking signal. It started treating certain links as inbound links leading to higher quality search results and became the most popular search engine on the world wide web.
The beginning of SEO was tumultuous. Many website owners and SEO consultants created poorly written articles, text links ads, submitted thousands of directories, initiated spammy blogs, blog comments, etc. People also started link placing everywhere possible and many such tricky processes.
2003: Google put an end to such fraud practices by penalising websites which were a part of spammy link building schemes.
2005: Google cracked down the companies who were buying inbound links.
2011: The Panda Update was rolled out for crushing websites with duplicate content stating the importance of fresh and quality content.
2012: The Penguin Update, a powerful anti-spam weapon was launched in 2012, preventing unwanted spamming.
Over the years, SEO has seen many updates like the importance of good content, Mobile Prioritization, The importance of Knowledge Graph Bar, and many more new and improved updates. Various updates such as the Penguin Update, Panda Update focus on preventing link manipulation or manipulation of any kind in general.
SEO has become sophisticated and detailed, giving preference to professional looking websites with strong content, good SEO practices and techniques.
Today SEO is 20 years old and continues to improve, update and develop with each year.
Why SEO is Important for Your Online Success?
Let’s quickly understand the importance of SEO for Your Website:
Online Success = Increase Online visibility, that is what SEO does. Good SEO practices increase your business/website online visibility, making it visible to an array of users.
- Increased Customers/ Potential Clients:
With the help of Keyword research, you can know your online audience. The targeted audience can become your potential customers. The right SEO strategies and tools will help you choose keywords and queries for your website leading to audience-specific website traffic and business-specific customers.
2.Increase Website Traffic and Profit:
SEO is an organic inbound digital marketing technique aiming at increasing website traffic. The increased traffic can lead to increased leads and conversion rates resulting in increased profits. Today, the majority of people shop or look for products or even perform searches via search engines, SEO is the best strategy for increasing website traffic.
- Brand Building:
An Important factor for every website’s online presence, SEO helps in building brands and maintaining it too. Using the correct SEO tools and techniques can make your website land on top of SERPs, leading to users seeing your website differently. Boosting
your brand value and brand awareness.
- Long Term And Cost-Effective Results:
SEO focuses on long-term results, making it a highly cost-effective digital marketing strategy. It is one of the most effective digital marketing strategies. A highly optimised website helps a steady flow of traffic for years to come. Statics show that SEO costs 62% lesser than traditional marketing, bringing in 3x the amount of leads.
- Being Ahead Of Your Competition:
An SEO optimized site helps you stay ahead of your competitors. Following the correct SEO techniques and using the right tools will help you stay ahead of your competitors.
- It Boosts Your Website’s Credibility And Authority:
Using the Correct SEO techniques and strategies can do wonders for your website. Following the right SEO techniques helps your brand pop up on top of SERPs, leading to your website’s credibility and authority. Users prefer clicking on high ranking websites over low ranking websites. How will your website be on top of SERPs? Simple: Following the correct SEO strategies and techniques.
It is a must to be well versed with basic SEO vocabulary for a better understanding of SEO and its functioning. So for all SEO beginners who are reading this post, the below-listed SEO vocabulary will help you understand SEO processes and functioning better.
- On-Page SEO: An important element of SEO, OnPage SEO involves following practices for optimizing individual web pages aiming to rank higher and earn the relevant traffic over search engines. The Techniques involve: Optimizing title tags and descriptions, tuning the HTML structure, check up on the keyword usage and density, etc.
2. Off-Page SEO: Another important SEO entity, Off-Page SEO involves actions taken outside a website aiming to improve the website’s search engine rankings. Its main feature is Link Building for optimizing website rankings.
3. White Hat: The process involves following Google-approved tactics and strategies for improving your rankings over SERPs. White Hat SEO targets Human Audiences over Search Engines.
4. Black Hat: The opposite of white hat SEO. Black Hat SEO involves following tactics, strategies violating Google’s and other search engine’s policies for boosting a website’s SERPs. Black Hat SEO targets Search Engines over human audiences.
5. Keywords: Keywords represent the ideas or topics representing your website content. They are implemented to improve your website’s ranking over search engines. It can either be a single word or phrase
6. Keywords Density: An important entity of Keywords, Keyword Stuffing refers to the number of times the said target keyword used on a webpage. The percentage representing the frequency of target keywords relative to the number of keywords on the said page.
7. Keywords Stuffing: An unethical practice, Keyword stuffing refers to overusing or stuffing keywords on a web page aiming to increase its rankings over SERPs.
8. Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI): Simply put LSI keywords are used for improving search engine rankings and visibility of websites. LSI Keywords are similar to Keywords and help Google and other search engines study and compare the relationship between several different terms and concepts. The keywords are similar to the main keywords used.
9. Link Building: The process involves creating a single way hyperlinks (backlinks) for improving the website’s search engine visibility. Link Building Strategies include Content Marketing, Public Relations, Broken Link Building, etc.
10. Organic Search Results: Search Results calculated as per search engines algorithm, rules conditions and are not paid are known as Organic Search Results.
11. Page Rank: Invented by Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, page rank is a calculation evaluating the quality and quantity of links to a particular webpage determining a score of the said page’s importance and dominance on a scale of 0 to 10.
12. Search Engine: A web-based tool enabling users for searching for information on the world wide web.
13. SEM: A marketing process involving paid advertisements appearing on Search Engines.
14. SERP: Search Engine Result Pages are the web pages that appear when users search for something online via a search engine. The SERPs pop up after the users enter the said search query.
15. URL: A Uniform Resource Locator also called a web address, refers to the address of a specific webpage. An important point to note here is that Domain and URL are two different terms and should never be used for each other.
How Search Engines Works? A basic overview.
Understanding how search engines work is of foremost importance as SEO is initiated and implemented on websites for ranking higher over search engines. Let’s look at an overview of how search engines work:
The goal of every search engine:
To fully understand what kind of content or information is available for the users and present it logically and conveniently.
How do search engines do it?
Every Search Engine has worked on the following protocol:
1. Crawl: Search engine crawlers also called as bots or spiders review every website’s content thoroughly. These bots analyse URLs, sitemaps, and website codes for knowing the type of content being displayed.
2. Index: After the crawling process comes to the indexing process. After the bots finish collecting the information, the search engines need to organise it for displaying in a manner understood by the users. In the indexing process, the website data gets reviewed to check negative or positive ranking signals.It also involves storing the collected information in the correct location servers.
3. Rank: While performing the Indexing process, search engines decide how to rank or display specific content over Search engine result pages. Ranking of webpages depends on an assessment of various factors such as:
- Mobile-Friendly websites
- Schema Markup
- Page Speed
- Webpage Quality
- Webpage content length/Quality
- Image Optimisation
And many more, the list is endless!
The above-listed procedures decide whether or not the website is valuable for user display. All these decisions are made under the guidance of an algorithm. SEO consultants must have a good understanding of search engine algorithms as it helps to create better content ranking better for every platform.
Every search engine be it Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo uses its unique ranking factors for ranking websites over SERPs.
The Video Below will help you understand Search Engines in detail.
The Various Types Of SEO
Many SEO types are existing in the digital world, each being unique and distinct from each other.
1. White Hat SEO: As mentioned, earlier white hat SEO involves Google-approved tactics and strategies for improving your rankings over SERPs. White Hat SEO targets human audiences over search engines. It is a positive technique and provides positive rewards if done right. White Hat Practices include: Creating Relevant and Powerful content, Performing extensive keyword research, On-Page Optimization, etc.
2. Black Hat SEO: This SEO type involves implementing practices to increase a website’s rank over search engines. The SEO type is negative and not appreciated much as it violates the search engine’s terms of service. Black Hat SEO techniques involve Content Automation, Cloaking, Link Scheming, Keyword Stuffing, Article Manipulation, etc.
3. Grey Hat SEO: The SEO technique is neither grey nor black. It is a middle approach involving techniques which when used correctly can produce 100% results. Often overlooked, the SEO type can either shoot up website ranking or result in losing vast website traffic. It is a risky choice. Grey Hat SEO techniques involve cloaking, linking buying, Purchasing Followers and Social Media Automation.
4. Negative SEO: One of the most unethical types of SEO, negative SEO involves using unethical techniques aiming to sabotage your competitor’s search engine rankings. Practices such as hacking your competitor’s website, Creating and Building infinite spammy links to your competitor’s website, Creating fake social profiles and ruining your competitor’s online reputation. You must never implement negative SEO strategies in your company’s SEO strategies. There are various ways to protect yourself from negative SEO, such as, Keeping Tracks of your backlinks profile and Protecting it, Protecting your Website’s malware from hackers, etc.
5. On-Page SEO: The SEO type involves optimising web pages aiming to improve the said website’s search engine ranking and organic traffic.
On-Page SEO is important for the following reasons:
- Search Engines understand and identify your website and the related content easily resulting in increased rankings of websites
- The sophistication of Search Engines as the focus towards relevance and semantics in SERPs increases.
- On-Page SEO gives website owners full control of optimising on-site elements leading to increased traffic and rise in your website’s search presence.
On-Page SEO techniques include:
- Publishing High-Quality Content
- Internal and External Linking
- URL optimization
- Meta Tags
- Structure Data
- Canonical Tag
- Hx Tags
- Off-Page SEO: Also called as Off-Site SEO, the SEO type involves following practices helping improve your website’s ranking over search engines. However, the said actions are out of the website. Off-Page SEO is important as It lets the search engines know that your website is a valuable website over the web and is important for users.
Various Off-Page SEO techniques involve:
- Link Building (Natural Link Building)
- Social Media Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Blogging Etc.
- Technical SEO: As the name suggests, Technical SEO involves improving your website’s technical aspects to increase its search engine rankings. It involves creating easily crawlable websites and understandable by search engines are the two main features of this SEO type. A technically optimised website will be easily crawled and understood by search engines leading to higher SERPs over search engines and high rankings.
Various Technical SEO practices include
- Eliminating Duplicate Content
- Dissolving Toxic Backlinks
- Optimising Robots.txt content
- Initiating Structured Data Content
- Optimising XML sitemap
- Page Speed
SEO Tools and Strategies.
SEO consultants must create unique SEO strategies and use the best SEO tools for websites to gain a top spot over SERPs.
Let us understand and know what an SEO strategy is and a few important SEO strategies:
An SEO strategy is the method of planning, outlining, and initiating steps for optimising and improving search engine rankings.
Successful SEO strategies of 2020 include:
- Thorough Keyword Research
- Detailed Analysis of Google’s First Page
- Curating Powerful Content
- Adding A Powerful Hook ( Backlinks)
- On-Page SEO optimisation Strategy
- Building Links To your page ..And many more.
Now That we know what SEO strategies are, let us have a look at the various SEO tools.
SEO tools assist website owners and SEO consultants for better optimisation of websites and making them rank higher over search engines. SEO tools perform an array of functions like analysing website content for content-specific keywords, backlinks and various other SEO specific requisites.
The Most Popular SEO tools of 2020 include:
- Google Tools
- Screaming Frog
Google Algorithms and SEO
Google Algorithms are a complex system used for extracting data from its search index and delivering the best possible result. Every search engine makes use of a combination of algorithms and several ranking signals for delivering web pages ranked by relevance on its SERPs.
Let’s take a look at the few major Google Algorithms Updates:
Penguin’s main aim is to downrank websites who’s backlinks look unnatural. It stopped low effort link building, link buying, etc.
Websites can stay safe from the side effects of the Penguin Update by monitoring link profile growth and monitor and run regular audits via backlink checkers.
- Mobile (Mobilegeddon):
Specifically designed for the mobile version of websites, the mobile algorithm focuses on website optimisation for mobile interface. The algorithm focuses on a website’s mobile-friendliness, speed and usability. Google’s mobile-friendly and page speed tests help you notice which aspects of your page needs to be improved. The tests can be performed via webSite Auditor.
Part of Google’s Hummingbird Algorithm, it is a machine learning system helping Google to understand the meaning behind several queries and display the best results for those queries. Websites wanting to ace the algorithm must optimise their web pages for relevance, comprehensiveness for competitive analysis. You can take the help of a WebSite auditors tool for doing so.
The algorithm focuses on improving the interpretation of search queries and displaying user intent matching results. A unique feature of the algorithm is that it ranks pages via natural language processing relying on LSI, co-occurring terms, synonyms and not keywords. For acing the algorithm, websites must focus on concepts beyond keyword research and can use the Rank Tracker’s Keyword Research Module.
The Google Algorithms list can be an infinite one! It is very important to build websites around the google algorithm qualities as it will surely help the website rank on top of SERPs.
How Can I Do My Own SEO?
For Companies, startups, small businesses being tight on a budget can follow the below listed DIY SEO tips:
1.Thorough Keyword Research
2.Thorough Target Audience Research
3.Creating Highly Optimised Search Pages
4.Creating Powerful Content That is easy to read and understand.
5.Creating Irresistible Title Tags and Meta Descriptions
6.Link Building and Internal Linking
7.Make Use Of Descriptive URLs
8.Learn More About Google Analytics
9.Read SEO blogs, vlogs, news, updates and stay in touch with the latest SEO trends.
10.Build And Create Strong Social Media Presence
How Do We Help You As An SEO Agency?
Born an SEO Agency in 2005, Nobody knows SEO better than us at GBIM. Our 15 years of experience has given us the confidence to see ourselves as one of the best SEO agencies in Mumbai.
We Help your Website achieve Skyrocket SEO rankings in the following ways:
- All of our SEO strategies are client specific. It means that no two clients belonging from the same industry will have similar SEO strategies. We perform a thorough analysis of our client’s needs, requirements, budget, goals, target audience before creating all our strategies.
- Our SEO Panel Toolkit allows clients to work as a team with our SEO consultants on their SEO strategies and goals. Via our SEO panel toolkit clients can monitor and track all SEO strategies easily.
- Our Experienced SEO Consultants are at your service 24/7.
- Our company CEOs are SEO experts and work closely with every client for creating unique SEO strategies.
- We offer pan-industry SEO services. Be it fashion, hospitality, electronics, medical or health and wellness, we have the solutions and strategies for every industry. We also offer mobile, local, enterprise, video, international SEO services.
With GBIM you never have to worry about your website’s SEO.
Why Prefer GBIM As Your Buddy
Experience that matters
Digital service providers since 2005
All digital expertise under one roof.
Our CEOs are Digital Marketing experts themselves
Open working style
100% transparent transactions and genuine suggestions,
Results that speak
More than 100 result-driven success stories