- December 22, 2022
How To Identify and Prevent CybersquattingProtection of a company’s intellectual properties including patents, designs, trade names, and domain names is a vital responsibility of every business owner. if you want to establish a successful business, you need to make sure that you are not the target of any cybersquatter. Cybersquatting is the process of making a profit utilizing the goodwill of the trademark that belongs to someone else. The cybersquatters register in, traffic in, or use certain domain names to profit from the goodwill of the reputed companies.
⮚ What is cybersquatting?A few details about the concept will help you to understand it better. The cybersquatters aim to create confusion among consumers who use Google and other search engines to register or buy domain names. They will create domains with similar names as the reputed ones that have registered trademarks. And then these people will sell the domain names to the trademark owners at a much higher price. Trademark owners always give in to the amount as they want to take advantage of the domain name. The Cybersquatting process involves placing derogatory information on the websites that the cybersquatters held. It will create pressure on the trademark owners to purchase the domain from unscrupulous professionals.
⮚ How to identify domain squattingWith cybersquatters multiplying at a high rate, you tend to think that someone is trying to profit from your domain name the moment the deired domain name is taken. Some cases can be genuine. For instance, there can be many other businesses with the same name as that of your company. So it's high time to know how to identify Cybersquatting and take necessary precautions at the right time.
- #1. Check the website
- When the domain redirects you to the standard and normal websites, like an active shop or service provider, then there must be a legitimate user behind it.
- If the domain redirects you to a page that says “this domain is for sale” or “under construction”. It's highly possible that you have got a case of Cybersquatting.
- Again, you may come across a page that already has a number of ads. Such websites are common for all the branded domains or existing business houses.
- #2. Contact the owner of the domain
⮚ How to protect your business?In a world gradually filling with cybersquatters, do you have the means to protect your business? Yes, you do. Nothing can stop a person from purchasing a domain that has no registration yet. This implies that anyone can register the domain that also contains your company’s or personal name. How are you going to protect the business from Cybersquatting? Just take a look at the important steps that you can take for preventing the invasion of cybersquatters.
- #1. Register from the beginning
- #2. Purchase similar domain names
- #3. Buy protection for domain ownership
- It’s a service that you can get from domain name registrars.
- It will keep the domain information private
- You won't lose the domain even if it expires accidentally.