A Step By Step Guide To PPC: What Is PPC and How It Works?
Pay Per Click or PPC is an internet advertising model used for advertising products/ services over various digital and search and digital platforms to online web users. When using PPC, online advertisers only pay whenever an online user clicks on an ad.
PPC works on similar lines as Google PPC.
Check out our PPC for beginners post to know in detail about how PPC works.
In this post will learn:
- How To Launch Successful PPC Campaigns
- Qualities Of A Successful PPC Campaign (6 Golden Rules Of PPC Campaign Management)
- How To Get More Customers Online Using PPC Advertising.
A Step By Step Guide To PPC: Launching Successful PPC Campaigns
Lunching successful PPC Google campaigns can be very stressful and require unprecedented time investment from PPC experts.
PPC campaigns are more complex than SEO campaigns and require careful planning and development.
Paid search campaigns prove to be most effective, and around 34% of online marketers feel the same. However, at the same time, these paid search campaigns are extremely difficult to utilise.
The following tips will help you launch successful PPC campaigns, including your first-ever PPC campaign.
- Start Brainstorming:
Before working on any PPC campaign, brainstorming is a must. While brainstorming, you must clearly define your ad campaign goals, perform a thorough analysis of your target audience, their behaviour, likes, dislikes and also perform competitor research.
Competitor research helps you know what your competitors are doing and what is working for them and what is not. You can then avoid repeating those mistakes and implement fresh new ideas.
Perform thorough keyword research to know which keywords to us and which to avoid. It is imperative to know the keywords most used by your ideal customers. For knowing so, you must draw up a customer database displaying the common keywords used by your customers while performing searches. Create an ideal keyword list before beginning your ad campaign journey.
Perform honest research and grasp everything you need to know for creating the perfect PPC ad.
2. Make use of the Keyword tool to check the keywords demand:
After creating an ideal keywords list, you now have to validate your keywords for keyword optimisation and selecting the most appropriate keywords for your ads.
There are numerous free keyword planning and selection tools available in the market, you can pick any one of them. When working with Google PPC online, use Google’s Keyword Planner for keyword optimisation.
For fastening the keyword validation process, use the (TOP-1 Strategy)
- Creating a Separate Spreadsheet
- Use Keyword Analysis tools for generating keywords
- Choose less competitive Long-Tail keywords
- Select the middle option and avoid picking highly competitive keywords. Instead, pick keywords with a good search volume and ok competition.
- Select customised keywords as per age, demographics, location, etc.
- Organise Your PPC Ad campaign Keywords and Structure Them:
The next step involves you to organise and structure your PPC ads campaign keywords.
Follow these simple tips to organise your PPC keywords efficiently:
- Create a list of Target Groups of Keywords related to one another. The more relevant your ad group keywords are, the easier it is to measure your keyword performance.
- When grouping your PPC keywords remember the search intent changes from broad keywords to specific long-tail keywords.
- Ensure To Include Negative Keywords In Your First Google PPC Online Campaign. This is a hyper-segmentation practice of paid advertising, where your ads are visible to a specific segment of people who are only interested in your products/services.
However, at times few keywords might have a different user intent and can cause uninvited clicks increasing your bounce rates resulting in a weak ad score. So use extremely user-specific keywords inviting clicks from only those users interested in what you sell, but avoid adding negative keywords which lead to a completely different user search intent.
- Know You Budget In & Out:
Deciding on a PPC campaign budget can be tricky as you pay for a per-click, so you need to know your average cost per click or CPC and try to maximise it. Your keyword selection further plays an important role in deciding your budget.
You need to focus on:
- Conversion Rates
- Profit received on every conversion
- Profit Margin
- These elements help you set a max Cost Per Conversion and decide your budget.
You must know how to calculate your CPC as this will be the deciding factor of budget allocation for your PPC campaign.
Now how will you calculate your Max CPC?
Simple, Follow this simple math equation:
Max CPC= (Profit Per Customer)* (1-Profit Margin)*(Website Conversion Rate)
Another important point to remember is asking yourself important budget-related questions like:
- “Can I Afford To Advertise This Keyword”?
- “Will My Ads Get Clicks”?
- “Will My PPC Ad Be Convertible”?
After performing a thorough analysis and calculation, zero in on a budget perfect for your PPC ad campaign. Avoid going over budget as it might lead to necessary problems.
5. Competiton Research:
Competition research helps you in numerous ways:
- It helps you know what your competition is up to, the trends and practices followed by them
- Where your competitors are going wrong so you can avoid those mistakes
- Where your competitors are facing PPC campaigns so you can get inspired and create better and highly optimised PPC campaigns.
- The keywords your competitors use and how they are impacting their PPC ads.
Detailed competition research helps you stay ahead in the game as you come to know what to do and what to avoid.
For performing competition research, you can use free or paid tools.
When working with Google PPC online, Google Adwords lets you know your competition. All you have to do is click on the Auction insights report via your campaign dashboard.
It lets you know how your competitors are bidding. After knowing your main competitors, you can find out the keywords that they profit from and skip the keyword trial and error process that you otherwise would have to go through.
- Create A Unique Ad Copy:
Before knowing how to create a unique Ad copy, let us first look at the structure of an Ad:
Every ad is divided into 3 parts:
- Intriguing Headlines
- Ad Description
- Display URL
Remember good or bad ad copies have a direct impact on your ROI.
When writing an ad copy, try and resonate with your ideal audience as much as possible. Be emotional, empathetic. Show your ideal audience that your product or service was the exact thing they were searching. PPC ads perform better when they target and talk about your customer’s needs and wants.
Paid ads offer limited space, so make sure that your ads are persuasive and crisp.
- Strong CTA:
Your ad is incomplete without a clear & strong Call To Action (CTA).
Make use of words like :
For attracting customers and increasing clicks. You can include the actions you want your customers to perform in your CTA. Example, call now, email sign up, etc.
- Add As Many Of Ad Extensions As You Can:
Add ad extensions to your ad depending upon the goal of your ad as the right extensions could boost your ad up.
You can include any one or more of the ad extension depending upon your target:
- Call Extension
- Sitelinks Extension
- Location Extension
- App Extension
- Review Extension
- Call out Extension
- Structured Snippet Extension.
A Step By Step PPC Guide: 6 Golden Rules Of PPC Campaign Management
Now that you know the recipe of creating successful PPC campaigns, let’s have a look at the 6 Golden Rules Of PPC Campaign Management:
- Always Ensure To Set Your Max CPA Targets:
Max CPA Target is the amount you decide to pay for every conversion with suffering from loss. Remember if you spend more on marketing than your said product price, you will always be in loss.
You must keep your cost per acquisition target lower to your product price. Many marketers do not stick to this rule and end up overspending without deciding their CPA targets. PPC agencies must work with their clients for deciding on setting Max CPA Targets.
- Always Run Campaigns While Conversion Tracking:
Marketers managing PPC campaigns must track conversions for actually knowing whether or not their campaigns work.
You must know how many customers are purchasing the product, which ad, keyword triggered the conversion, etc. Tracking your conversion rates lets you know what keywords, ads and placements will lead to conversion and are worth bidding.
- Try To Run Remarketing Campaigns:
Remarketing campaigns can prove to be fruitful and help to maximise your ROI and connect you with customers who have purchased products or services from your business in the past.
4. Constantly Optimise Ad Copies & Landing Pages:
You must examine your ad copies and landing pages continuously for knowing what’s working and what’s not. Testing them on a regular basis, experimenting with them, using powerful CTA’s in your ad copies are a few ways of optimizing them.
Since optimisation is not a fixed activity and requires continuous adaptation, you can fix the wrongdoing and create perfect ad copies and landing pages.
5. Never Run A Campaign Without A Through Understanding Of Your Client’s Business Goals & Needs:
Not knowing your client’s business goals & needs can be thoroughly damaging to your PPC campaigns. Before embarking on your PPC journey, you and your client must discuss the client’s business goal and needs.
Understanding this gives you a clear idea of how you want to create said PPC campaigns. It helps you know the keywords to use, CTA’s and Ad extensions to input, target audience, etc. Without goals, you cannot create strategies and curate a fully-functioning PPC campaign.
A Step By Step PPC Guide: How To Get More Customers Online
- Launch Remarketing Campaigns:
Statistics show that when businesses use remarketing campaigns for products, customers are 70% more likely to purchase your product, increasing your website conversion rates and sales.
Remarketing, a Google PPC marketing strategy allows marketers to remarket the products/services to people who have previously interacted with your website. It aims to increase brand awareness, leads & sales and increases customer-website interaction.
2. Always Include Multiple Ad Extensions When Needed:
One of the most convenient ways of attracting more customers online, Ad extensions are convenient ad elements and help customers as:
- Ad extensions are free. You can use as many as ad extensions you want in your ad. As long as it is appropriate. Advertisers only pay for ad extensions when the said ad gets clicked on.
- Improve Ad visibility & CTR:
- Ad extensions occupy more space over SERPs, increasing an Ad’s visibility. Further, CTRs are improved as online advertisers can make an ad specific and detailed via adding information through ad extensions. Online users can comprehend your ad better.
- Boost Conversions & Improve Ad Rank & Quality Score:
- Ad extensions boost conversions either simplifying product/service purchase for customers or provide detailed information for customers to decide to buy the product.
They help to improve quality score lowering CPCs, and also help increase ad ranks, enticing more customers.
- Choose To Advertise On Multiple Platforms:
Advertising on multiple platforms such as Bing Ads, Facebook Ads, etc. And not only Google Ads, helps you widen your business horizons, attracting customers from all spheres of the internet, thereby increasing your sales and profit.
Following multi-platform advertising, the approach helps you build brand awareness, increase customer base and loyalty and generate sales.
4. Ensure To Design Mobile-Friendly Landing Pages:
Most online users prefer performing online activities such as shopping, surfing, etc, through mobiles. Mobile-Friendly landing pages help attract your ideal customers who interact with your website via the mobile interface.
For maximising ROI from PPC, you must design mobile-friendly landing pages that are fast, visually appealing, relevant & functional.
- Generate High Quality & Enticing Ad Copies:
Your Ad copy must be top-notch, hoking users from the headlines itself. Boring ad copies no matter how great a product/service your offer will not be clicked on, lowering your conversion rate and failing your PPC campaign.
Your ad copy must be creative, crisp yet detailed and logical. It must include powerful CTA’s, product/service benefits, relevant details such as free shipping, etc and relevant landing pages.
High-quality ad clicks are the most convenient way to ace your PPC campaign online. You must take time and develop a strong and powerful ad copy.
GBIM Technologies help you create Powerful and Budget-Friendly PPC campaigns
We are a digital marketing agency specialising in Google PPC campaigns.
Our Google PPC services promise to deliver performance-driven Social, Search, Video, Remarketing Campaigns generating guaranteed results and sales.